India’s High Commission is ascertaining details of Indians being affected in the attacks amid reports that nine Indians were missing.
External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said the High Commission was in touch with authorities. India on Friday said that it was following the due process before announcing the number of Indian-origin persons among the victims. “It is a highly sensitive issue and we are following certain protocol and that is why we are not putting out any number yet,” said a source.
An unverified Twitter account of India’s High Commissioner in New Zealand Sanjiv Kohli had earlier tweeted that there are nine missing persons of Indian nationality/origin. However, when asked about the unconfirmed reports suggesting that nine Indians are missing after the shootings, a Indian High Commission official in Wellington told PTI over phone that a team of the Indian mission was in contact with the local authorities to find out details.
An official said that ascertaining the exact figure may take sometime. A team from the Indian diplomatic mission in New Zealand is specifically tasked with this.
PM condemns attack
Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Friday hatred and violence have no place in diverse and democratic societies. In a letter to Jacinda Ardern, his New Zealand counterpart, Mr. Modi also expressed India’s strong condemnation of terrorism in all its forms and manifestations, and of all those who support such acts of violence, the Ministry of External Affairs said in an official release.
Congress president Rahul Gandhi called the attacks “a despicable act of terrorism that must be condemned unequivocally”. “The world stands in need of compassion & understanding. Not bigotry & hate filled extremism,” he tweeted.