A gunman on Friday morning opened fire at two mosques in New Zealand’s Christchurch area. At least 40 people were killed and 20 injured in the Christchurch mosques shooting. The number is significant, New Zealand police commissioner Mike Bush said.
The police have arrested three men and one woman on the suspicion of them being involved in the New Zealand mosques shooting.
Armed police in New Zealand swarmed central Christchurch amid reports of a shooting at a mosque in the South Island city. Local media said there were multiple casualties at one mosque and said another had been evacuated. The police advised people to stay indoors and avoid visiting mosques.
What we know so far
Eyewitnesses recount mosques shooting horror
One of the eyewitnesses to the New Zealand mosques shooting told the Reuters that he and some other people escaped one of the mosques after breaking the glass window.
“He had a big gun, he came and started shooting everyone in the mosque, everywhere,” Ahmad Al-Mahmoud said.
A Palestinian man in the mosque, who did not want to give his name, said he saw a man shot in the head. “I heard three quick shots then after about 10 seconds it started again it must have been an automatic no one could pull a trigger that quick,” he said.
Another man said that he saw the accused shooting children. “There were bodies all over me,” he said.
An eyewitness said, “Then people started running out. Some were covered in blood.”