National

CBI does a u-turn, says it doesn’t want to pursue Bofors bribery case

The CBI on Thursday informed a Delhi court that it did not want to pursue its application for further probe into the ₹64-crore Bofors bribery case.

Making submission before a court at the Tis Hazari district courts, counsel for the probe agency said that it would decide the future course in the matter later. But at the moment, the agency did not want to pursue the application for permission to further probe the case, the counsel further said.

Meanwhile, advocate Ajay Agarwal, who had also moved an application for further probe into the matter, also moved an application for withdrawing his plea. But when the court threatened to impose costs on him for wasting its time, Mr. Agarwal said that he would argue on it. The court agreed to his submission.

The CBI had last year moved the trial court seeking permission for further probe into the Bofors bribery case saying it had come across fresh material and evidence.

It had also filed an appeal in the Supreme Court against the Delhi High Court’s decision to to end all proceedings against the Hinduja brothers. The Supreme Court, however, refused to entertain the plea.

Source: thehindu.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *