Premier League: Southampton stay alive after thrilling draw with Bournemouth

Southampton secured their Premier League status for another year after a thrilling 3-3 home draw with Bournemouth on Saturday as Cardiff City slumped to a 1-0 defeat at Fulham.

The draw put Southampton in 16th place on 38 points, seven ahead of Cardiff and four clear of Brighton & Hove Albion with two games left to play.

Fresh from scoring the fastest goal in Premier League history against Watford, Irish striker Shane Long again got Southampton off to a flying start with a goal in the eighth minute, but Dan Gosling equalised eight minutes later.

Long missed a sitter in the 24th minute, stabbing the ball against the post with the keeper stranded and the goal at his mercy, and it was to prove costly as Callum Wilson pounced to rattle home a rebound in the 32nd minute.

James Ward-Prowse put the Saints level with a skimming shot that flew in at the foot of the post 10 minutes into the second half.

Matt Targett thought he had put the icing on the cake for Southampton when he leapt to meet Yann Valery’s cross, sending his header into the net to spark scenes of wild celebration.

They were interrupted when Wilson scuffed home his second, but news that Cardiff had gone behind to Fulham had filtered through to the ground and Southampton were able to enjoy confirmation of their survival in the top flight.

Babel strike leaves Cardiff on brink of relegation

Ryan Babel struck a potentially deadly blow to Cardiff City’s Premier League survival chances with a stunning 25-yard strike that secured Fulham a deserved 1-0 win at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

The defeat left Cardiff three points adrift of Brighton & Hove Albion, who play Newcastle United later on Saturday, and means they are likely to join Fulham in the Championship next season.

Somewhat bizarrely, Fulham equalled their own Premier League record of three successive wins as Dutchman Babel struck a fierce first-time shot 11 minutes from time to register his sixth goal of the season.

The game was delayed for seven minutes in the first half after Fulham’s Denis Odoi was accidentally kicked in the face by team mate Maxine Le Marchand.

The defender was knocked out cold and had to be revived with oxygen before being carried off to a standing ovation.

Wolves avenge FA Cup heartbreak with 2-1 win at Watford

Wolverhampton Wanderers got some revenge for a stinging FA Cup semi-final defeat by Watford as they beat them 2-1 in a lively Premier League clash on Saturday.

They also stayed in contention for a Europa League berth, seventh in the table on 54 points from 36 games, four ahead of closest challengers Everton and Watford.

Having thrown away a two-goal lead in their 3-2 Cup defeat by the Hornets at Wembley, Wolves enjoyed better fortunes this time after goals by Raul Jimenez and Diogo Jota gave them the win at Vicarage Road.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *