A petition seeking a hike in the compensation given by the Maharashtra government to the families of those died in the CSMT foot overbridge collapse has been filed in the Bombay High Court. The plea seeks Rs one crore of compensation to the families of the deceased.
The PIL seeks direction to the city collector and Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis to grant compensation of Rs one crore to the families of the six persons and Rs 25,00,000 to the injured in the incident under the provisions of Disaster Management Act, 2005.
The petition has been filed by advocate VP Patil. The petition also demands criminal action against the negligent officers of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) and that the corporation should repair or reconstruct the bridge.
Earlier today, a structural auditor was arrested in connection with the last week’s foot overbridge collapse that left six people dead.
The accused, Neeraj Kumar Desai’s firm DD Desai’s Associated Engineering Consultant and Analysts Private Ltd, had reportedly carried out the structural audit of the bridge and declared it safe for use despite some corrosion in the structure, the police said.
On March 14, a section of the CSMT foot overbridge collapsed, killing six and injuring 31 people.
Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis had declared a sum of Rs 5,00,000 each to the families of the deceased. The petitioner, however, said, “This is a mockery when Rs 3,700 crores are lying with the government under the Disaster Management Act, which is meant for such incidents.”